Join the Coalition
****Motion for Preliminiary Injunction has been filed****
About the East County Community Action Coalition
The East County Community Action Coalition (ECCAC) is a coalition of community groups, individuals, and organizations. The mission of the ECCAC is to promote the quality of life for residents of East County of San Diego by promoting coordinated community action. As of May 1, 2009, our participants include groups and individuals which collectively represent over 75,000 in East County.
The ECCAC believes that the Sunrise Powerlink project, as approved by the California Public Utilities Commission on December 18, 2008, will significantly and irreversibly reduce the quality of life for of East County communities, and will have lasting and irreversible negative impacts on our region for generations to come, including but not limited to renewable firestorms. The ECCAC opposes the Sunrise Powerlink Project, in its current form, and supports cleaner, more reliable alternatives to power generation for this region. The ECCAC is committed to forming an effective east county coalition for coordinated community action.
Together we stand
OUR COMBINED BENEFITS
- Strength in numbers – Participant statistics (number of groups and individuals represented) will be accumulated and stated to the media to demonstrate the significance of our group. Your participation helps give us all a louder voice. You can choose to keep your group’s name private (i.e. – not named by the ECCAC as a participant), however, your participation will be tallied in our statistical data which may be released in total.
- Coordination for community events - Participants will be invited to join in volunteer efforts, plan or host events, and other activities with the goal of coordinating our efforts for maximum effectiveness. Instead of having dozens of groups hosting small events, we can coordinate our groups to have larger, more impactful events. Participants can choose to be as involved as desired, and there is no financial obligation.
- Website Communication - The ECCAC website will be used to distribute important information to coalition participants to aide in our coordination. Your group can also have a link to your website, if desired.
- Coordinated letter writing campaigns – Participants will be invited to join in coordinated letter-writing campaigns, so that we are reaching the same recipient at the same time, increasing the effectiveness of our efforts.
- Coordination of legal actions - Participants can use this group to network with other groups to assist eachother by sharing information, as desired, to support each other in legal actions, so that efforts can be coordinated, when appropriate, for maximum effectiveness and reduced duplication.
- Joining the coalition requires only your stated intent to be a participant, and does not result in any legal status or bind you to any actions taken by the ECCAC. This is not considered to be a membership.
- The ECCAC agrees that it will not make any public statement of position that claims to or implies that it represents all the “coalition participants”, except to state that all of our participants are in opposition to the Sunrise Powerlink Project, as approved by the CPUC on December 18, 2008.
- The ECCAC agrees that it will not make any public statements of position claiming to represent a named participant .
- The ECCAC does, however, intend to make public statements of the various reasons that the ECCAC participants, individually or as a whole, oppose the Sunrise Powerlink, and participants will be encouraged to state their positions on the ECCAC website.
- The ECCAC may choose to be a named party on legal actions without the approval of the participants, and the coalition participants will not be considered a participant to these actions, however, the ECCAC participants may be provided the opportunity to support these legal actions, if the participant so desires.
Please contact us today with any questions or input.
All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men and women to stand by and do nothing